This tutorial resolves the issue I encountered with my Xiaomi Max for file transferring to and from Windows 10 PC. If you are encountering “USB device not recognized or working in windows 7, 8.1, 10” or “INF is invalid during installation” or “MTP drivers installation error”, hopefully this tutorial will resolve your issue.
Before proceeding with the tutorial, do this: upon connecting the USB cable to your android phone, click on notification showing USB for charging connected and change it to one allowing File Transfer. Then, follow the steps below:
- Go to Device Manager using the search command in Windows or >My Computer/ This Computer > System properties > Device Manager)
- Right click on the device with error
- Select “Update Driver Software ..”
- Select “Browse My Computer for device software”
- Select “Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer”
- Select “MTP USB Device”, select the “MTP Device” and you will get an error installing.
- MTP Device successfully installed. Important: If the phone is in Lock Screen state, you need to unlock it for file transfer.